Thursday, January 25, 2007

there may be a fight, but it's already over.

I was delighted to hear that people are fighting over me today. The manager of the meat department is going to offer me a full time job in there. However, the bakery manager still needs me to work in there and apparently made this point to someone who works in the meat department during morning smoko (do you think there should be an 'e' at the end of smoko?).
So i'm being fought over. But if there's a full time job where i don't have to start work at 5 or 6am
and I have a room where i can hide from customers then I think it'd be dumb not to go for it.

Still on work, and a little less joyous in nature, as most of my posts about work are. It occured to me today that not only do I not respect my boss because he has no feeling for his employees, but I consider him a dickhead for the way he expects the employees to make up for his shortcomings. Firstly he demands that we get a certain amount of work done, then says that we need to spend less on wages, so we get hours taken off us but when we do work we still have to get that same amount of work done as when we have the time. On top of that he's given the front end a loophole to cutting their spending on wages. They consistently understaff themselves to keep on his good side so he rewards them by giving service alerts whenever they get busy. A service alert is when they call up people who know how to work the registers from other departments to help out for a while. The problem with this system, or at least the way our store manager uses it, is that all the other departments are short-staffed or constantly busy, so when they get called up they get even further behind in their own work. Add this to the fact that instead of once or twice for a few minutes, they call us up and make us stay on registers for 15-20 minutes at a time and do it 10 times in a day! The company I work for makes billions of dollars in profit, so what the fuck makes them think they should be making us slave away for their precious shareholders when the dickhead store managers abuse us and refuse to be trained to help themselves.
So here's my dilemma: full time position in probably the best department in the store vs. working for a slave-driving mother fucker.

oh yeah, weekly status report on my whole weightloss thing: i'm still fat

No comments: