Tuesday, October 16, 2007

storm asked for it!

so i'm bloggin' cos i was told to. by someone who i talk to either online or in person almost everyday. weird.

well i suppose i should go through whats going on. I'm still working my crappy meat mole job, except now i'm back to being a checkout chick some of the time too. Joy. I can't wait to get outta there.

On that subject, i've applied to do a bachelor of computing next year at uni. I find out if i made it in November. In the meantime I'm expecting to be contacted by Tafe about a jewellery making course i expressed interest in back in March or something! I can't do it if i get into uni cos its a full-time course which sucks cos I'd really like to get into something like that. It'd help with inventory!

Yesterday on my radio station of choice, Triple J, they were talking about starting a small business. It reminded me of all the times i've thought of doing the same thing. I'd only start with a stall at the markets or something, but I'd sell stuff that I'd make myself as well as related stuff i could get wholesale from ebay or something. i could also go try again at selling stuff on etsy.

Things I'd look at selling (and hence will madly try to make while i still have a full-time income!) include:

Beaded flowers: (which I'm utterly mad about at the moment!) made into wreaths, bouqets, hair clips, and commissions taken for weddings and costumes.
Plush dolls: very simple ones probably from calico, that could be given to a young child
Chainmail jewellery: simple and classy or extravagant with beads, crystals, pearls or whatever! headdresses, chokers, necklaces, earrings, rings, anklets etc etc
other Jewellery: tartan chokers with chains and stuff for a punk look, beaded hand charms, beaded jewellery sets, crocheted chokers with ribbon, beaded cabochons etc, etc.
Rose painting: on ANYTHING!! brown paper bags, noodle boxes, cards, coasters, placemats, books, boxes, fabric, jeans, t shirts, bottles, with parchment craft, etc etc
papercrafts: stickers, little books, tea bag folding, scrapbooking embellishments, cards, etc all handmade. paper roses made with punch craft.
Embroidery: the roses i used on my corset on everything! shirts, jewellery, clutch purses and drawstring purses, ring pillows, cushion covers
Plaster masks: decorated, able to be used or just hung up on a wall, with ribbon or a stick.

And to pad all that stuff out, jewellery and craft supplies i can find for wholesale on etsy or ebay!

I'll still have to learn a few things, like how to sew properly to make the clothes for the plush dolls, parchment craft and maybe go and do lapidary to make cabochons for my work and to sell individually. But other than that i think i can really do this!
It may in fact save my sanity!

I think what really made me think about this was not only the thing on the radio that brought it to mind, but the fact that at the same time i was staring at a guild wars loading screen. For 5 minutes. And I thought: why am i doing this? why just sit here. there's craft books on the chair next to me. there's beading and chainmail stuff on the table right in front of me. I don't even have to get up!

So I got started. I've finalised my plush doll pattern, started on a miniature rose bouqet and made a pair of chainmail earrings in the same time it would take me to laaaaaaag my way across Lion's Arch!

Why the hell did i spend beading cash on Factions?!

back to the flowers!

1 comment:

Miss Lilly said...

*does the little finger pointy dance of "Cherry's updated her blog! WOOT"*