Saturday, October 27, 2007

money + internet=BEADS!!!!

So I just spent about $100 on beads. And jumprings. And crystals. And pearls. and clasps. Trust me, it was all wholesale and hence awesomely priced. It wasn't random either, I knew exactly what I wanted. I just bought enough stuff to make about 5 major pieces or sets of jewellery, most of them based on lead female characters from classic operas and musicals. I've designed jewellery for Tosca, (Madame) Butterfly, Cosette (Les Miserables), Turandot and Christinem (Phantom of the Opera).

For anyone who cares, I'll put a heap of links to Australian bead sites (most of them are wholesalers too!).

Oh yeah, and I don't think I'm gonna go to uni next year. I've been thinking about it since I got a letter from Tafe the other day asking me to contact them for an interview. ok, backstory needed *wavy flashback lines* now we're back in about March this year, ages before I was full-time at work and before i was thinking about going back to uni. I called Tafe about a Jewellery course, but they'd already started for the year. They took my details and said they'd contact me about next years course in October. Fast forward to this week *whiplash* and I receive the letter from Tafe saying that I need to put together a portfolio of work and contact someone about an interview for the course in November.

And that got me thinking about what I really want to do. I want to start an arts-based business of my own, I want to learn new techniques and try to get really good at the things I can already do. I don't want to add another 12-15 thousand bucks onto the 12-15 thousand bucks I already owe on my student debts from the first useless degree. I don't really want to study something I'm not entirely interested in, struggling to pay attention and failing to get the best grades and hence not getting the best oppurtunities afterward. And I don't want to be just another geek on a help desk putting up with dickheads.

So I'm going to try my best for the tafe course. And if I get into the computer degree, I may just say 'nevermind.'

No comments: